Sunday 17 March 2013

Research Task 4

Research Task 4

In this part I am searching for literature that may help me when screenwriting, either blogs, websites, videos or any other source. 

The first source I found the blog/website of John August. This website has some interesting posts covering how to write a scene correctly, all the way to getting your first job. This is a piece of information I found useful, outlining in easy steps how to write a scene correctly:


The writer of this blog/website John August is a successful screenwriter, with credits for films such as "Charlies Angels" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". Clearly, John has alot of 1st hand experience of what is like to work as a screenwriter, which means its information is very likely to be truthful, making this a trust worthy source. 

2. The Screenwriters Guild of Great Britain

This is the website for the trade union of writers working in Britain. This website keeps up to date with useful posts for anyone working or trying to break into the industry. It also tell you about minimum amounts of pay that you should be taken and if you are a member will negotiate this for you.  This website helped me a lot when I was blogging about the commissioning process of the script. 

We can defiantly trust this information this source provides as it is the verified website of a well established trade union. This union has many years of serving the industry and are clearly a legitimate source. 

3. 10 Rules for Writing a Successful Short Script

I read through these quick 10 rules and it really helped me to consolidate my ideas, and think about how to use my 5 pages to there full potential. 


Rule number 8 "If your film is less than 5 minutes, one type of conflict might be sufficient to satisfy your audience" helped me to think about what I should do with my ideas, and how to make them work most effectively in my 5 pages.
The source of this is a blog, which isn't that trustworthy, as anyone can write a blog, even if they have little of know knowledge of the subject they are writing about. However, on the bottom of the page it says the the author is a lecturer at the Los Angeles Film School and has written a number of feature films. This shows that the author will know how to properly write scripts and will have an indepth knowledge into the topic.

4. Screenplay Formatting Help

A simple blog post that explains well how to lay out a script properly (although if you are using Celtx it does it automatically)

This blog was particularly helpful when it came to finding out what I can and can't put into the script. For example I didn't know that particular sounds could be put in. 
However, this source is again a blog, and with no information of who wrote this page the information it could have been written by someone with no knowledge of the industry at all, therefore all the information could be incorrect/opinion. Due to this uncertainty this source cannot be entirely trusted. 

5. Gorilla Film Makers Guide

This is a book that is all about how to create films on a tight budget. In the section on writing scripts I found a lot of tips that helped me understand ho I should write my script.

One particular tip that helped me was a short column on description, particularly about how much to use and how often to use it. 


The author of this book, Chris Jones, has worked in the film industry for a number of years. In this time he has directed a number of films a short films. This means his knowledge of this subject is likely to be valid and reliable for my purposes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment