Tuesday 26 March 2013

Research Task 5

Research Task 5

My script is set in the future, where resources are scarce  In order to get a feel for this time I researched about how long in the future this will be.

Firstly I looked at how long it is predicted that fuel will last (if we continue to use it in the same way/rate) and I found this graph on the ecotricity website. This gave me a rough idea about how far into the future I would have to set my script if I wanted it to be based on realistic statistics.


The website that I got this from a website that is trying to persuade people to use alternative forms of energy. This makes the source very likely to be biased and one sided. This makes it an unreliable source.  

I also looked at predictions to how our oxygen levels in the atmosphere will be affected if deforestation continues at the same rate. This would be a good resource to use in the story as every living organism relies on oxygen, and is also created by trees and other plants which are being rapidly destroyed (this will make the story more realistic and believable). 

I checked to see where most of the oxygen in the atmosphere came from, and I found it was mostly from the amazon rainforest. I found that it provides around 20% alone, more than anywhere in the world. (http://www.CNN.com)



Character Development


Ed Armstrong

This is the protagonist in this story, with the story mostly following what he does, and the situations he gets into. This means that obviously this character needs to be interesting and original 

I then came up with this description for Ed:

'Professor Ed Armstrong, 49, tall, good thinker, excellent problem solver. Family man. His research into a process that could potentially artificially produce oxygen is nearing completion'


I then developed on this paragraph to create this finished description:

'Professor Ed Armstrong,49, tall, slight man with a unique way of thinking, excellent problem solver. Father of two children, Sally and Jack Armstrong. Main character in narrative. His research into a process that could potentially artificially produce oxygen is nearing completion, however his rapidly nearing his 50th birthday. The hope of his children living long a fulfilled keeps him motivated'

I thought adding the points about his unique mindset would relate to how he has nearly solved the crisis of lack of oxygen. Also adding the information about his two children gives a better idea of his persona, rather than 'family man'.


Jack Armstrong

Jack is Ed eldest son. The story will follow parts of his life as he struggles to juggle his home life with the growing pressures of school.

The first description I came up for Ed was:


'Jack Armstrong, 16, medium height, popular, athletic, cleaver. Wants to help his father with his research.'

I thought that this description was too short and needed to have some information about how he was as a person. I then thought about how old he is and how boys of this age act in different company. I then developed the description into this:

'Jack Armstrong, 16, medium height, popular, athletic. Very much has the brains and abilities of his father, but keeps that under his belt whilst in the company of friends. He knows of his father situation and is willing to do whatever it takes for the research to be completed. He is motivated by the fact the research could save his father from termination.'

As you can see with this description we get to learn more about what kind of person he is by the fact he hides his intelligence when with friends. Also we can see that jack he has the same type of brain as his dad, rather than being generally clever. 








1 comment:

  1. Myself Manish Diwakar from Agra. I am currently doing S E O service Agra, India. I am working on offline pages. Manīṣh Diwākar (Seo Agra)

    ReplyDelete